Summer is here, and with it come soaring temperatures and electricity bills. How can you keep your energy costs down while staying cool? Here are some ideas.
- Check the Filters. Dirty filters make it much harder for air to circulate, and also carry dust and grit around your home. Check your filters once per month and change them twice a year, or when they get really dirty.
- Change the Thermostat. Set your thermostat higher when you leave for the day, and turn it back down when you get home in the evening. A programmable thermostat can save you quite a bit of money in energy costs! Remember, the smaller the difference in temperature between the outside and the inside, the less work your HVAC unit has to do. Keeping your AC unit in the shade will also help!
- Escape the House. During weekends or other days that you’re home most of the day, find ways to escape during the hottest parts of the day. Movie theatres are great for this–think how dark and cool it will be! You can also try a visit to a community pool or library, or window shop at a mall or bookstore.
- Use your Decor. Keep curtains drawn and blinds closed during the hottest part of the day, especially in windows that face the sun directly. Blackout curtains can help tremendously with heat. Ceiling fans will help circulate the air and let you set your thermostat up to 4 degrees warmer without a reduction in comfort!
- Talk to an HVAC Professional. JH Martin Mechanical can make sure your HVAC unit is working well. We provide appropriate service to make sure it’s up to the challenge of the hot Georgia summer.
Contact JH Martin Mechanical in Loganville, GA for more tips and help with all your summer air conditioning problems!